I Like Birthday Cake.....Some Do Not



I Like Birthday Cake


 File this under stuff. Since this is my blog...I can post what I please. This post is about a  painting.    A painting that is relatively old. I  painted the work in  1988 while a grad student at Mount Royal Graduate School of Painting...MICA at Baltimore. The painting is titled Birthday Cake. It is oil on canvas and 7 by 8 feet. Its only brush with the public   was back in 1988. It was  part of my Graduate Thesis Exhibition.  Since that initial exposure ,  the painting has not seen day light. It has received ZERO EXPOSURE.  It remains  hidden from public view in a dark "climate controlled" storage unit . 


While I have have not exhibited widely or extensively,  curators, gallery owners...you know ..folks from the "art world"  again and again  ignore or reject  Birthday Cake for various   reasons...mostly puritanical.    Never mind that the work   is about celebration. It is  about joy and triumph.   I might add,  Birthday Cake was the result of painting under the influence of  Verdi's.. Requiem "Libera  me". 

Personally, I love Verdi and  Birthday Cake.


Comments