Sal Scarpitta: "never throw anything away with paint on it".

My grandmother  saved stuff.  All kinds of stuff such as  paper bags, jars, cans with lids  and string. She would eventually  give the stuff a new purpose, a new life.  Essentially,  Gramma was recycling.

 Just as well,  years ago,  Sal Scarpitta, artist in residence at the Mount Royal Graduate School of Art at MICA, advised me to "never throw anything away with paint on it".  He was of the opinion that  the discarded painted surface would eventually find a new life as well.







Today, I hardly paint with brushes. I find brushes cumbersome, restricting, and annoying. .  Brushes require care and I do not have the time or desire to care for them.  Instead of brushes, I use sheets of foil to apply , smear, slap the paint on the canvas. The foil sheets are convenient and they come in a box ...like Kleenex. I have begun to save them .


What I do with the painted foil is easy and uncomplicated.   Either  I draw/paint directly on the foil, or I tear it up and make collages. It is an exercise  of joy. They are easy and fun to make     and  a wonderful way to whittle the time away while
 listening to Lou Reed or Philip Glass.  


..............................................................................................................
See more here: Paint on Foil   by Federico Correa

Comments